Almost every movie is rich in moments that you want to share with others. But how do we do it right? One option is to write a movie review. Today we will discuss the basic rules for writing professional and high-quality reviews. Even if you have not previously worked with this material, our tips will definitely help you.
What is the review
First, you need to understand what a review is and who is writing it. Review is one of the types of art criticism and journalism.
This type of article may contain the following information:
- Brief retelling of a
- Own opinion of the author about A.S
- Evaluate the work of the cast and crew of the film.
- Viewing recommendations.
You can understand how to write a review by looking for essay examples. Professional authors write film analysis essay examples for college. These works will also help you understand the direction in which you would develop your ideas if you were asked to write an essay about a film at a school, college or university. With the help of such essays, students will also be able to practice their writing skills. You don’t have to go to the movies to write a review; You can watch any movie on TV.
The writer writes a review so that the reader can decide whether to watch this movie or not waste their time on it. An important rule is that the author needs to maintain an unbiased stance when writing. If the movie is good, he should write about it, even if he doesn’t like the director himself or one of the actors.
The review allows the reader to better understand the movie from the trailer. The main drawback of the trailer is that it only lasts a couple of minutes. At the same time, in the trailer, the creators often show the best scenes from the picture.
The average review length is 1,000 words. The final essay performs several functions – it presents information, analyzes, persuades, and entertains. You will achieve a better result if you include these points in your review.
Preparing to write a review
Writing a movie review is, first of all, a creative process. But you cannot do without an analytical approach. Only in this way will it be possible to make a high-quality and convincing review.
To prepare a professional review of a film, you must go through several preparatory stages:
- Choose the right movie. Everything is simplified if you write a review of a particular picture by order of a teacher or boss at work. For a successful review, it is best to use those films that you and critics like.
- Watch a movie. It is better to look at the picture at least two or three times. This is due to many reasons. During the first viewing, try not to think about anything, to fully immerse yourself in the atmosphere of what is happening on the screen. During the second viewing, rate the performance of the cast and the work of the film crew. Sometimes it takes a third viewing to understand some of the storylines in a movie. You may also want to know more about the story of the movie if it is based on true events.
- It is desirable, but not necessary: see other films of the director and actors. This will help compare and identify the distinct style of the image.
- A notebook and pen should be prepared for the second and third presentation. They will be used in notes. It is necessary to write down everything – interesting scenes and plot twists, quotes of characters, inconsistencies, etc. This information will help write a review. For example, a good quote from a movie can be used as a caption.
- Learn more about the shoot – where it took place, how long it took and the difficulties the team faced. Including such facts in the review will make it more attractive to the readers.
Also, in the review, it is necessary to indicate what prizes and prizes your chosen picture has been awarded. For the reader, this can be a deciding factor in their final viewing decision.
What questions should be answered when writing a review?
Several basic questions need to be answered. All of this information should be included in the review. In this way, you can create a complete and interesting description for the reader. After reading it, he will not have any additional questions.
- The movie contains one or more episodes. Is this a sequel, a prequel, or part of a movie series?
- What kind of movie? It can be an action movie, comedy, drama, western cinema, political, biopic, disaster movie, etc. Most often, this information can be found in the description of the photo. It’s also worth exploring if the movie is based on real events or if the plot is completely fictional.
- Did the movie capture you? There were no thoughts of stopping watching before the end of the picture.
- What words describe the picture – slow, continuous, dynamic, soft, etc.?
- What is the rating of the film in the age restriction system (no restrictions, viewing in the presence of adults, undesirable under 13, 17 years old)?
- Are there similar films with the same theme that viewers should watch for comparison?
- How do you rate the work of the film company?
- Is the movie entertaining or does it deal with serious issues?
- Did you like the choice of actors in the movie? Did the actors perform well in their roles?
You can answer questions and create a draft of your review.
How to write a review: basic steps
A good review can’t be written quickly. Writing an essay is a complex and lengthy process. If you are new to this field, we recommend that you follow our step-by-step guide.
- Write an introductory part. This includes all the basic and basic information about the movie (title, genre, release date, director, etc.).
- Reflection of the individual’s opinion in the displayed image. This piques the reader’s interest. Do not leave these paragraphs in conclusion.
- Brief retelling of the plot. It is important not to enter spoilers and not tell how it will end. It will be better if you keep the plot.
- Talk about your feelings. Tell the reader exactly what you felt while watching the movie.
- Add information about symbolic elements, key phrases, and other points that helped you get deeper into the atmosphere of the movie. Get more creative when writing.
- Tell us about the movie moments that left you the most impression, but avoid spoilers. You shouldn’t just say whether or not you recommend this movie to watch. Justify your opinion.
After you are done, you should re-read everything written several times. Edit the material, highlight important points, and correct any errors. Remember that mistakes can deter the reader from a more professional review.
#write #movie #reviews